How is it Day 9 already!? (Of the Beer Exchange, I mean, I know it’s Day 18 of Blogmas.) I know people always say that as you get older, time passes more quickly, but this year it really seems that way. Whether I’m at work or at play, the one thing that seems consistent is that I look up and suddenly hours have passed.
I am getting so much done in those hours, though! (Except for making my home not be in disarray. I haven’t found time for that yet. But I do have my Christmas tree up, so what more do you want from me?) For instance, yesterday we did our traditional Christmas baking with the girls and we somehow whipped through the four recipes in just over two hours. We are becoming efficiency machines!
Of note (and maybe why we were so fast), we didn’t have our usual little helper yesterday. Rylee was feeling a little boogie, so she stayed home to have a “couch day” with her daddy. And the little helper we did have was pretty chill – introducing Wren!
Wren had very little input on what we baked yesterday.
We made a few usual suspects – the gingerbread cookies I shared a few years ago, classic chocolate cookies with Rolos in them, and our Toblerone shortbread. Plus we busted out something new – Mars Bar Squares. They were truly delicious. And Canadian.
Plus, I took this opportunity to enjoy Beer 9 from the exchange! So follow me through the cut to find out what the beer was and maybe even get a recipe as well…
Establishment Brewing Company’s Jam Rock
Beer 9 was another old classic! Establishment Brewing Company’s Jam Rock is a blackberry-vanilla kettled sour. 5.6% ABV and a runner up in the 2020 Made in Alberta beers – it’s very much an Erin beer. Erin loves sours! (I will also always think about arriving at Establishment’s taphouse to join some friends to have our friend Scott look at me with a big grin and say “Erin! They have Jam Rock here!”. Adorable.)
I will say – while Jam Rock is delicious, it does not pair well with Mars Bars Squares or Toblerone shortbread. So enjoy this recipe of our very special Toblerone shortbread… but also, enjoy your Jam Rock on its own.
Toblerone Shortbread Recipe
(roughly modified from this. Makes like 90 cookies, if you make small ones)
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup super fine sugar (or regular, or a blend – esp this year when sugar is hard to find)
- 3½ cups flour
- ½ cup corn starch
- 2 bars (100 g each) Toblerone Swiss Milk Chocolate, roughly pulsed in food processor
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter and superfine sugar in large bowl with mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Mix flour and cornstarch. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate.
- Drop scoops of dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. We do scoops of slightly less than a teaspoon, using a small ice cream scoop. The cookies do not spread much.
- Bake 12 min. or until lightly browned. Cool 5 min. on baking sheets. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
What do you think? Are you going to make these delicious cookies this year?