Oh my gosh, you guys, the holiday activities have been filling every little inch of my life recently. Which is why I’m writing this post at a casual 11 pm, very chill posting time. Normal choices. If you read yesterday’s post, you kind of have an idea of what I’ve been up to. I did, in fact, do all of those things listed in that opening spiel. Plus, Claire and I headed over to ONE18 Empire for fancy Old Fashioneds and truffle everything after our show. (This is the go to place in Calgary if you want a smoky Old Fashioned.) And then I recorded Mystery, Outsiders, and Abs. Okay, that last one isn’t festive, but still it added to the very full vibe of my life right now. I’m sure many of you are in the same place… which is why I want to share something that might make your life a little bit easier.
The Best Holiday Punch Recipe
Yes, you read that right. The best holiday punch recipe. Look, life is busy and full of parties this holiday season. You don’t have time to go to the store and pick out a punch of different delicious bottles of wine. No. You want to throw a bunch of ingredients into a bowl and hope for the best. I know this. I feel you.
My internet stalkers will know, based on my instagram stories, that I had a Punch Off for my birthday this year. It was unseasonably warm in October, so Megan graciously offered up her backyard for a fire and everyone brought a favourite cold-season punch recipe. We sat in the beautiful outdoors, frozen only a small amount, and drank lots of weird punches. (I didn’t make a punch. I brought snacks. It was my birthday, damnit!)
Actually, I technically contributed to Claire’s punch recipe, which means I won! And here I am, ready to share with you all…
The Punch Recipe That Claire and I haphazardly threw together
Yes, we were inspired by recipes on the internet, but some things are hard to find so we went for what was easy. Also, we are people who are not going to use half of a container of a perishable ingredient. You know how it goes. Here is what we landed on:
- So much ice
- Frozen cranberries, to taste (fresh are hard to find, but go for it)
- A small bottle of cranberry juice (like not the 2L one… the small one)
- A 750 ml bottle of your fav sparkling wine (or La Marca because it’s always on sale)
- ⅓ cup of rosemary simple syrup (because we had it. You can do normal simple syrup. You could probably even skip it, but it might be tart. Throw some sugar in there? I don’t know)
- A 591 ml bottle of gingerale. Or two cans. Or the same amount of cranberry gingerale, because why would you not buy that during the brief period of time it’s in stores!?
- You could garnish with rosemary. We did not. Because of fireside punch-off. We are not fancy.
- Find a jug of some sort.
- Put ice in jug.
- Put cranberries in jug.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to jug (in order).
- Pour into glasses. Or let people serve themselves. You know your party. You do what serves you!
Obviously you can scale this recipe up as needed. Simple, easy, delicious. And having a punch makes you look oh-so-fancy!
Okay, I am clearly here to make this easy and chill. But I must know! What are your favourite holiday punch recipes? Sound off in the comments below!